I am certainly by no means the most environmentally conscious person on this planet, but every day I take steps to ensure I am striving towards that. Don’t stop with the good ol’ reduce, reuse, recycle stuff….all of us need to go further in playing a role in saving our planet. Whether you don’t even recycle or consider yourself an green warrior, there is always room for improvement.
In saying that, make changes today. The time is now to make your move and become responsible for your actions. Here are some simple actions you can do, starting right now.
HOW TO SAVE THE PLANET – WATER:
- install a water saving shower head and efficient toilets and taps.
- “if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown – flush it down” (enough said).
- limit showers to 4 minutes.
- turn off the tap when brushing your teeth.
- have the temperature as cold as you can (it saves energy!).
- use an efficient front loader washing machine.
- use the shortest cold wash cycle as often as possible.
- only wash clothes when you really need to, not if they have just been lying on your bedroom floor all week.
- pack your washer to the brim…no half loads around here.
- ditch the dryer and harness the magical power of air…seriously though, my family has never had a dryer and still managed to get through life so I’m pretty sure you can too.
- unless you are a super efficient hand washer than uses minimal water (most people aren’t!), go for an efficient dishwasher.
- make sure your dishwasher is filled to the brim with dishes before you put it on.
- on the topic of filling the dishwasher, try to minimise the amount of dishes you use in the first place to in turn use the dishwasher less.
- once again, like the washing machine – go for the shortest cold wash cycle possible.
- most modern dishwashes can deal with food particles, so avoid pre-washing your plates and letting all that precious water literally go down the drain.
- choose low water plants.
- mulch your soil.
- use drip irrigation to water your plants
- install a rainwater tank.
- ensure that your tank is connected to the toilet and laundry.
Ultimately, be mindful of your water usage. Notice how much water you are truly using and how you can change this.Take measures daily to decrease your water usage.
Follow me on Instagram here!