There was a time in my (relatively short) life where my skin and its care was the most important thing on my mind, day in, day out. I had severe acne. I tried product after product, attempted a rigorous skin care regiment and yet my skin got worse. I had red, painful pimples and bumps over my entire face. Eventually after going on isotretioin (acutance) my skin improved immensely.
During the year long process of improving my skin with medication, I recognised the importance of simple skin care. I want to say that for me personally, isotretinoin had the biggest impact on my skin but these tips have helped me improve it further and also improve my overall health. Furthermore I learnt a few tips along the way regarding skin care that I believe can help anyone. By the way these are from personal experience as well as dermatologist advice, I truly hope these help you out but do not take them over advice from your doctor (disclaimer) !
- Less truly is more -you really do not need a 10 step skin care routine to care for your skin, let it breath and do its thang.
- Go natural – all the chemicals we are exposed to on a daily basis certainly can’t be good for us, so try to go as natural and chemical free as possible!
- Cruelty free – similar to above but please don’t support the cruelty of another sentient being for the sake of yourself.
- Wear sunscreen – if I could only give one tip, it would be to wear sunscreen every single day. Sunscreen is literally the most underestimated skincare product and yet so many people don’t wear it on a daily basis! Not only does it prevent sun damage and cancer, but sunscreen is the BEST way of preventing the signs of aging. Seriously…wear sunscreen everyday people!
- Let your skin breath – makeup can be extremely detrimental to the overall health and appearance of your skin. Try to minimise the amount of time you wear it and ensure it is all thoroughly removed at the end of the day! Not only that but try once again to go vegan, cruelty free and natural as possible with your makeup products.
- Keep Hydrated – make sure you are drinking plenty of water daily, it will reflect in your appearance as well as your inner health. Be prepared to have that hydration glow!
- Hands off – we often unconsciously touch and lean on our faces, try to pick yourself up on it and take your hands away from your face. No need for all that extra bacteria to find a home on your face.
- Persevere – every single persons skin is different just as they are so it is so important to not give up on your skin. Even when my skin was bad I told myself daily that this is only a tiny period in my skins lifetime and that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. I would get to that light. Never forget that you are so much more than your face. Radiate good vibes and your skin will reap the benefits.
I know these might seem like the easiest, simplest tips but these are truly some of the best ways to ensure you and your skin are happy and healthy!
P.S. Seriously though – wear sunscreen!!!